Wednesday 30 June 2010

Picture perfect

I enjoyed searching Flickr's vast image bank again. I have used it previously when looking for pictures and found it very useful. I have my own camera but don't use it often enough so I don't have my own account. I'm taking it with me on my holiday to Cornwall soon so maybe I'll upload some photographs, if they're any good! I tend to use Facebook for family and friends photos, as it's easier to share them with everyone.

Using the keyword 'books' I found this cute picture of a cat seemingly in charge of running a bookshop! :) Credit goes to 0olong;


I had a look at the recommended photostreams from local photographers and also the libraries that are using Flickr and I thought the pictures were really impressive and could be a useful way of promoting and publicising. Our deputy librarian has been inspired and has made it her summer project to create a virtual tour of the library, which I think is a really good idea.

Away from libraries, I also found Flickr to be a fantastic place to find some really beautiful scenic pictures by budding photographers.


Above is a photo of St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall by midlander1231, which I'm hoping to visit on my holiday. What a magical image! He has taken lots of other wonderful pictures of Cornwall so I have added an RSS feed from him to my iGoogle page;


Now I can flick through beautiful pictures from my homepage, which is very convenient. I liked Things 9 and 10 and can see how Flickr could be useful for libraries. I thought learning about Creative Commons was really helpful as well, because sometimes it's difficult to know whether a certain image can be reproduced or not. Now I know where to search if I'm looking for an image to use elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment